Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Back from London and meeting my editor

Yesterday, I did my annual trek down to London and had lunch with my editor and senior editor. It was very pleasant. The main consensus is to keep writing what I am currently enjoying writing -- warm, witty intimate historicals which are set in the North East and help give a window into the period.
It was the first time that I was able to have a long face to face chat with my editor. She is wonderful in person. She is tough but with loads of heart. Truly the Jillian Michaels of the editorial world. I am very lucky to have her as an editor.

We went to an Italian place and I had all 3 courses -- salad to start, salmon fishcakes and then espresso granita. A few glasses of wine were drunk. A real feast.

The editorial office has been moved downstairs and is very open plan. I loved that one of the conference rooms had a frosted window with the M&B logo and the word Intrigue.  All the other editor I met were looking well - okay as young and beautiful as ever. There is a real feeling of comraderie.

One of the great things for me was wearing a burnt orange silk suit that had belonged to my grandmother. At this point last year, I could not get it past my knees! It fits very nicely now  thank you. Various people were suitably complimentary (including an editor that I meant on the street on the way to the office who nearly didn't recognise me but liked the suit).  It does show that all my hard work has paid dividends. Now to continue the hard work and get myself in shape for NYC!

1 comment:

Caroline said...

So glad you had a great day in London. And huge congrats on getting that skirt past your knees! ;o) The hard work has paid off. Caroline x