Thursday, March 03, 2011

Back from uni visiting

Yesterday was my last university visit with my daughter. University of Birmingham this time. She needed to visit them all to get a deeper understanding of how the courses differed and what was on offer.
 The campus is lovely. The sun shone. We arrived early and so I insisted on visiting one of the museums on campus -- The Barber Institute of Fine Art. Normally university museums yeild something interesting and this was no exception.  For a small museum, the collection contains some remarkable works.  My favourite was an Elizabeth LeBrun protrait. My daughter's favourite was a Renior. They had had Van Gogh, Degas, Picasso, Money, Manet, Turner, Giansborough, Courbet etc. I also loved the protrait of Lady Martha Constance Hattie Onions Barber. who was the driving force behind the Institute.
It is now up to my daughter to decide where she wants to go and which course will be the best for her. Sometimes you have to go with your gut. And my gut might be different from my daughter's. Tis hard to be a parent.

Because the train journey was SO long, I did a lot of writing yesterday. It will be a small matter of typing up the spider scrawl and bleeding on the page. Deepening the emotions. It will get there.

No comments: