Thursday, January 28, 2010

Remembering to breathe

Sometimes you just need to remember to breathe.

I feel very relieved as ALL my tests have come back negative. The lymph oedema in my left arm is idiopathic -- ie of unknown cause. But the doctor does not believe it has anything to do with my writing. He did ask if I had been lifting swords (answer no) and did concede pulling dogs might be a cause...

The upshot is the lymph oedema clinic beckons so I can learn how to manage it. Lymph oedema is about managing, rather than curing.

It is why people used to say to put your feet up so you do not get permanent swollen ankles.

With swollen forearms -- they will eventually get me a special compression bandage etc.

The reason why you must see the doctor if you think you have repetitive strain injury is that a swollen forearm can indicate deep vein thrombosis or kidney problems or breast cancer. It can also just be idiopathic. But they have to eliminate things first. With RSI you will not be able to have a wide range of movement.

Now all I have to do is edit the wip and wait for my editor's verdict on the other one.

4 comments:

Caroline said...

Good news on the negative results. Take care. Caroline x

Cheryl St.John said...

HUGS Michelle

Unknown said...

SO glad all the nasties have been ruled out, and you can now blame the dogs. And rest more - that's definitely my advice.

Kate Hardy said...

So glad that the test results were clear. I've been thinking about you! Now make sure you rest. (And that means you can't throw a cushion at me for saying it...) xxx