Monday, July 27, 2009

In the home stretch

I can see light at the end of the tunnel.
This ms will make the deadline and then I will start the next ms, knowing full well that I will get revisions. One of the very lovely things about writing for HMB is that the editors do push hard. Sometimes, it is an awful feeling when you get the revisions back, but then there is the absolute thrill when you get the AAs (galleys) or even the finished book. In the end it does not matter as long the story is the best it can be for the reader.
It is always about trying to get the best out of the story and making it a page turning read.

Anyway, all that thrill is for later, right now the current story is consuming my waking thoughts. How can I make things better? Are there any flat scenes (answer -- yes but they can be improved) What holes/problems can I see so that my editor will have an easier job? Mind you though, I expect my editor to be tough and to push as she wants the same as I do -- a great story.
The biggest enemy to any writer is becoming complacent and accepting that something will do. It is part of the mystery of the medium. Learning craft is about more than just mechanics -- but that is another post.

Some days you just have to believe.

1 comment:

Caroline said...

Hi Michelle. Glad you are at the end (nearly!) As an avid reader of your books I can't wait to read it when it comes out. As an aspiring author I can understand the sheer hard work that goes into writing at book. I'm doing "revisions" at the mo too! Take care. Caroline x