Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Harlequin Historical Podcast

Through out the year, Harlequin has been doing a number of editorial podcasts. These give real insight into the editing of the different series. The current podcast is for the series that is closest to my heart -- Harlequin Historical. In it, Linda Fildew and Joann Carr discuss what they are looking for in a submission, which time periods are most popular, and how certain themes work better in certain periods. It is an absolute masterclass in how to write a HH, or indeed any hisotrical romance. It lasts about 35 minutes. As I listened (and yes, I know I should have been revising) I found ideas started pinging and several things that were said helped to crystallise points in the Governess one.
Now I just have to make sure that my Vikings rampage enough...

3 comments:

Jen Black said...

Thanks for the alert to this, Michelle. I'll pop right over and take a look.
Jen

Donna Alward said...

Ooh...I'm going to pass this on to my chapter mates.

And it truly is good to have you back.

D

juliemt said...

Really enjoyed listening to this, Michelle. Was rather surprised to hear that Tudor/Elizabethan books don't do so well for the company, despite all the interest in Phillipa Gregory, The Other Boleyn Girl and The Tudors.

Julie