Sunday, June 22, 2008

Rereading crafts books --The Writer's journey

Because I remain ill, and unable to sleep due to this stupid cough, I have been rereading some of my craft books. Also i want to get a handle on this governess wip.
The Writer's Journey by Christopher Vogler is a book that bears rereading every so often. Some of elements are old friends, but sometimes, the words take on new meanings and twists. In other words, my own appreciation of the craft has grown enough to make me understand more of what he is trying to say, and to grasp the thoery behind it.
It can be helpful when planning a story to think -- which mask is each character wearing. Which archetype? Which role? And have I done enough to lift the character from the archetype and breathed life into them? Sometimes, the character has such a small part that is not worth it. Bit part secondaries by their very nature will be unable to display more than one or two characteristics. The time is better spent rounding and shaping the main characters. When you narrow your cast, inevitably, the number of masks each character wears increases. This adds to the complexity (or at least that is the theory).
But various threads are starting to come together in my head and this is good. I trying to figure out mentors and threshold guardians, plus shapeshifting.
I have also spent sometime writing my latest Dear Reader letter. This is for Simon Clare's story as I think the prelims will be next week. I am also redoing my biography. Some people think of Dear Reader letters as a chore but I enjoy them. I recently had a very letter from a reader who had been touched by the Dear Reader letter in Viking Warrior, Unwilling Wife. And that is what it is all about -- touching readers, connecting with them.
Anyway, hopefully this cold/thrachea infection will improve.

6 comments:

Kate Hardy said...

Hugs, Michelle - hope you feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

My pharmacist head says - Drugs, you needs them, but I am sure you already have that covered.

Do hope you feel better soon and can get some rest. Especially when the sun may shine this week :-)

Nell Dixon said...

Hope you feel better soon.

Donna Alward said...

I'm back! And working today! It feels good...and first off is getting caught up on a few things first....like your blog.

HOpefully more chapters to send you after I've gone over your comments for 8. :-)

Cheryl St.John said...

I know, I know, I know, I need to try that book again. Maybe I'm just dense, but I didn't "get it." LOL

Anne McAllister said...

I love that book, Michelle, because it explained to me why I got stuck at the same place in every book I ever wrote. It didn't help me get past the point, but at least I knew what was hanging me up!

But like Cheryl, I have books I don't 'get' and they are apparently books that everyone else finds completely enlightening.

Everybody finds their own books that speak to them. Or not!

Hope you are getting better.