Monday, November 12, 2007

Operation: Rescue Duckling



Yesterday, my dh who stayed at home from church with a throat infection looked out to see only six ducklings. As they had been on a Big Adventure yesterday and had had to be rescued from the neighbours' yard, he was concerned about the missing duckling, the sole surviving yellow duckling of the brood. We suspect that a tawny owl might have eaten the other one.



He went out and discovered that the missing duckling was trapped in the tiny reed pool. He rescued the duckling, wiped the mud off and put it in a box to warm. he had to move the box from by the Aga as one of the cats became very interested...


By the time I returned home, the duckling was well on its way to recovery. Once it was warm, it began cheeping its head off and we knew it was time to return it to its fellow ducklings. The mother can no longer be bothered with them btw and was engaged in head bobbing with a male duck.



It is now fit and well. But I thought the picture might amuse.






My revisions are coming on and I am starting to put them on the computer. Thus far, it has been well that I have deleted several external conflict subplots as I do not think I would have the word count for it...

7 comments:

Kate Hardy said...

Lovely pics, Michelle.

Glad your revisions are coming on apace.

Ray-Anne said...

SO sweet. Ah. The subplots. I hate waving goodbye to my secondary characters. Best of British.
:-)

Unknown said...

OK-- I want to show this to the children, but can I bear the inevitable pestering that will follow???

Such sweet pictures! (and I kind of sypmathise with the mother duck ever so slightly.... I bet she'd told the duckling a million times not to go near that reed pool...)

Jen Black said...

I dread to think what would have been awaiting you if he hadn't gone out when he did. What a lovely man!

Liz Fielding said...

Ah, bless. And well done your lovely man.

Anonymous said...

Hurrah! DH the fearless duck rescuer!

Michelle Styles said...

I am so pleased you like the pictures.
Yes, my dh was a star. He knew what to do when faced with a distressed and filthy duckling.