Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Cinderella drink

When we were in Malta, my middle and youngest discovered a new drink -- a Cinderella. They first tried at the Blue Elephant but soon discovered that other restuarants would serve it. Having tried it, I think it is better than the Shirley Temples that I used to drink as a child.
The basic recipe is for one person 4oz (250 ml) orange juice, 4 oz (250 ml) pineapple juice, the juice of one lemon, 1/2 oz (50 ml) sugar syrup and about 4 oz sparkling water. Shake with ice and pour into a glass.
Sugar syrup is made by boiling about 200 ml water combined with 200 grams of sugar for about a minute.
My middle prefers less sugar syrup for a tarter taste.
I suspect there is a drink with a bit of vodka added for the adults but do not know the name for it.
Anyway, it is a refreshing drink. You can make it even more luxurious if you used freshly squeezed oranges and freshly juiced pineapple.
The revisions continue apace. Yesterday, one of Kate walker's questions resounded in my brain -- why would she fall in love with him beyond the obvious? And I realised that I was missing a scene. This meant that the pace felt a bit static. But it is coming on and the book is moving more how I want it to move. It is always important to ask -- why. Or otherwise one's editor is apt to ask it.

3 comments:

Liz Fielding said...

That sounds delicious, Michelle. Your girls have good taste!

And why would she fall in love with him? What a great question.

Donna Alward said...

That IS a great question! And just what I needed....

I expect that drink would be good with a lot of liquors...vodka, gin, even champagne instead of sparkling water.....

Michelle Styles said...

Gosh yes, champagne -- a different sort of mimosa.

That question is one of the reasons why I really like Kate Walker's book. Because the reason people fall in love andromance works is that it goes beyond the obvious. It has to do with peronality and character. This is particularly true of my current heroine who is emotionally damaged and who is fighting against it. WHy the hero and why at this moment in her life.