Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Partials, and Prague

Yesterday, sent the partial of my new wip off. I no longer had any excuse -- I had received the comments on TSD, and had been able to revise PBB by extrapolating the comments out. Equally both my critque partners had read it. My editor kindly emailed back that she had it and would look it as soon as she could. Soon in editorial speak is a relative term. At least I know both are on her desk and she is aware of them.
Now all I have to do is finish the rest of the wip, in antcipation. When I was in Prague, all sorts of thoughts occured to me on how to make the wip stronger. The solution I came up to some of the problems, I think will make it stronger but does involve a bit of a re-write. I did incorporate the solution into the synopsis that I sent my editor if that makes any sense. My focus had started to stray from the main plot. It is far better to do the work now, rather than wait, biting fingernails for the response to come back after I submit.

However yesterday, I used my eyes a bit much and so felt very tired this morning. I gave in, and went for coffee with a friend. Very refreshing and now my eye feels better. I also discovered that the one episode of Rome we didn't tape, she did and so I will be able to borrow...

One thing I forgot to say about Prague was the old way houses were identified -- through statues or mosaics on the walls. So you have things like At the Sign of the Black Star, at the sign of the Bull or At the sign of the three ostriches. Very Middle Earth I thought. The broding castle, the winding streets and the at the signs of... Equally the fact that Rudolphll invited a number of alchemists to try to turn lead into gold, including people like John Dee and DrFaustus (before he sold his soul to the devil). The decisive battle of the White Mountain did away with the Winter King. The Winter queen was an English princess and the Legends and Lore of England book my dh gave me for Christmas has several legends connected with her. Also Prague was where Rabbi Low invented the Golem. Golems seem to be gaining in popularity these days. Terry Pratchetts uses them as did Jonathon Stroud in his book -- In the Golem's Eye.

At the moment I am reading Tom Holland's latest, Persian Fire, about the clash between the Persians and the Greeks. It too reads almost like a fantasy. There again, it is nearly impossible to re-create the ancient world without making certain leaps as much is shrouded, hidden or lost. Anyway, it is a tale with Magi, Zoasterians, strange gods and mythical happenings to give potents of the future -- usually to justify some action or another. Fascinating reading.

No comments: